|MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET|
|SEABOARD ASPHALT PRODUCTS COMPANY
3601 FAIRFIELD ROAD
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND 21226
(410) 355-0330 OR FAX (410) 355-5864
(SPILL, FIRE, EXPOSURE)
DAY OR NIGHT 800-424-9300
|SECTION I. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION|
Clippership Blind Nailing Cement
|SECTION II. INGREDIENT INFORMATION|
|Mineral Spirits (Stoddard)||25-28||64741-41-9||100 ppm|
|*Measured as crystalline silica (Quartz)|
One of the components of this product contains crystalline silica, which is listed as a probable carcinogen by IARC. OSHA and NTP do not list crystalline silica as a carcinogen.
|SECTION III. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION|
CAUTION! HEATING MAY RELEASE HYDROGEN SULFIDE GAS (H2S)
EYE CONTACT: The cool material will cause minor eye irritation. However, thermal burns may result from contact with the hot material. The degree of the injury will depend on the amount of material that gets into the eye and the speed and thoroughness of the first aid treatment. Signs and symptoms may include: pain, tears, swelling, redness and blurred vision. This hazard evaluation is based on the data from similar materials.
SKIN CONTACT: The cool material will cause minor skin irritation. However, thermal burns may result from contact with the hot material. The degree of the injury will depend on the amount of material that gets on the skin and the speed and thoroughness of the first aid treatment. Signs and symptoms may include: pain, discoloration and swelling. This hazard evaluation is based on data from similar materials.
The systemic toxicity of this substance has not been determined. However, it should be practically non-toxic to internal organs if it gets on the skin.
INHALATION: Fumes from the hot material can be unpleasant and may produce nausea and irritation of the upper respiratory tract. If inhaled, this substance is considered practically non-toxic to internal organs. This substance contains sulfur compounds which may for hydrogen sulfide. The rotten eggs odor of hydrogen sulfide is unreliable as an indicator of concentration. Signs and symptoms of over exposure to hydrogen sulfide include respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances, coughing, a sensation of dryness and pain in the nose, throat and chest, confusion and unconsciousness. Hydrogen sulfide concentrations of 1000-2000 ppm can be extremely hazardous. This hazard evaluation is based on data from similar materials.
INGESTION: This is an unlikely route of entry, however if swallowed, this substance is considered practically non-toxic.
ADDITIONAL HEALTH DATA COMMENT: Studies in which mice were exposed to a variety of whole asphalts did not result in any increased cancer rate; mice exposed to asphalts diluted with hydrocarbon solvents had increased incidence of certain types of cancer. Brief or intermittent skin contact with this asphalt product is not expected to produce any delayed effects. While normal handling of this product is not likely to cause cancer in humans, skin contact and breathing of mists or vapors should be reduced to a minimum.
This product contains clay which contains crystalline silica. Crystalline silica has been listed as a carcinogen by IARC, however, the particles are coated with asphalt and are not available for inhalation. As such, there is little or no chance of inhalation of crystalline silica and resultant diseases.
FIRST AID: EYE CONTACT: Flush eyes, including under eyelids, with running water for at least fifteen minutes. Get medical attention. SKIN CONTACT: If the hot, melted material gets on the skin, quickly cool in water. See a doctor for extensive burns. DO NOT try to peel the solidified material from the skin or use solvents or thinners to dissolve it. The use of vegetable oil or mineral oil is recommended for removal of this material from the skin. Flush exposed area with water while removing contaminated clothing. Get medical attention if irritation persists. INHALATION: If there are signs or symptoms of hydrogen sulfide exposure (respiratory tract irritation, headache, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances, coughing, a sensation of dryness and pain in the nose, throat and chest, confusion and unconsciousness), move the person to fresh air. If breathing has stopped, apply artificial respiration. Call a doctor. Note to physician: In addition to use of 100% oxygen and supportive care, suggested treatment for hydrogen sulfide poisoning includes the use of nitrites. This is based on similar mechanisms of toxicity between hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen cyanide. The nitrite-induced methemoglobin is thought to bind the toxic hydrosulfide ion. Initial inhalation of amyl nitrite pearls for 15 to 30 seconds if each minute should be initiated until 10 ml of a 3% solution of sodium nitrite can be administered intravenously at 2.5 to 5 ml per minute. While the efficacy of nitrites in hydrogen sulfide poisoning has not been unequivocally demonstrated, their use is recommended as part of the treatment regimen. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been used for cyanide poisoning with some success and may be of benefit in hydrogen sulfide poisoning if other measures are ineffective. INGESTION: Unlikely, if occurs give person milk or water. Keep head below the waist. Contact physician or Poison Control Center. Never give anything by mouth to a person who is unconsciousness or is having convulsions
NFPA RATING: HEALTH - 1 FIRE - 1 REACTIVITY - 0
|SECTION IV. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA|
FLASH POINT AND METHOD: ~ 110 °F
UPPER EXPLOSIVE LIMIT: Not Available
LOWER EXPLOSIVE LIMIT: Not Available
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Water, carbon dioxide and dry chemical. Us e water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. A fine water mist may be used to smother fire or to disperse vapors. Do not use a solid stream of water since the stream will scatter and spread the fire.
Fire fighters must wear self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing when fighting fires involving this material.
|SECTION V. REACTIVITY DATA|
CAUTION! HEATING MAY RELEASE HYDROGEN SULFIDE GAS (H2S)
This material is stable in closed containers at room temperature under normal storage and handling conditions. It does not polymerize. It is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Decomposition products can include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.
|SECTION VI. PHYSICAL DATA|
BOILING POINT: ~ 650 °F
APPEARANCE AND ODOR: Black liquid with organic odor
|SECTION VII. SPILL, LEAK, AND DISPOSAL PROCEDURE|
Notify safety personnel of large spills or leaks. Clean-up personnel need protection against liquid contact and vapor inhalation. Absorb small spills and collect liquid, if feasible, or absorb with vermiculite or sand. Do not flush to sewer or stream.
Dispose of liquid waste via licensed waste disposal company. Follow Federal, State and Local regulations.
|SECTION VIII. SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION|
Wear impervious gloves and safety glasses to prevent contact with the skin and eyes. If repeated or prolonged contact with liquid is likely, wear protective clothing including boots, apron, and faceshield or splash goggles. Remove contaminated clothing immediately and do not reuse until it has been properly laundered.
Eye wash stations and safety showers should be available in use and handling areas.
Contact lenses pose a special hazard; soft lenses may absorb and all lenses concentrate irritants.
|SECTION IX. SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS AND COMMENTS|
Store in closed containers in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area away from oxidizers, heat and open flame.
Protect containers from physical damage.